Monday, September 8, 2008

I hang my head in shame

I am in Hyderabad for now, a week of being spoiled to look forward to. (doesn't matter how old I get, I will always regress at home)  

But that's not why I'm ashamed. I bribed someone in India. Something I never wanted to do. 

At the airport, I had two laptops with me. (BTW, the way the customs guys figure out about the laptops is by having someone mark LT on your suitcases with chalk. So a simple trick in theory is to take the suitcase to the bathroom and erase the mark. Someone should try this next time they're bringing in two laptops.) They send me to talk to this customs official and he busts out some calculations and asks me - The customs duty is Rs. 4500, are you comfortable paying that? I tried to explain that one is a company laptop and the other is a personal laptop, so I shouldn't have to pay. But after a lot of discussion he "offered" me a deal for Rs. 2000 which I paid as a combo of rupees and dollars. 

I would have raised a bigger fuss if I was my laptop, but being as it was a present for dad, I didn't want any trouble.  But it made me feel dirty all the same. And I have a feeling it won't be the first time I'll be bribing someone in India this year. 

1 comment:

.C said...

I join in your shame of bribing an RTA clerk (who was indeed helpful earlier, and didn't even expect a bribe) for certain corrections in my driver's license. I had not much time and I had already made 20 trips around the RTA office, not to mention the trips around Regional Passport Office that were to follow. ...And, now, I am anyway held up! ...And, well, I am still trying to see what I can do about the bribe; I still have his mobile phone number.

Interestingly, the helpful guy claimed that I'd need to pay for a 'challan' of Rs. 345/- (official) again, and took Rs.400/- from me... only he didn't give me any receipt! :-( I wish helpful people stay sincere and helpful.