Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The couple on the bus

Before I write about Cheeni Kum, a quick word about the couple that was on the sleeper bus. Like I described, the bus had a layout like that of an Indian train. So there ended up being four people sleeping in a small enclosed area. So if there were to be a couple in there, like we did, it's hard to miss any parts of the conversation that take place. It's not so much what they were talking about that was interesting as the whole manner of the conversation. This seemed to be a young couple, neither of them seemed over 30, and I'd bet that guy wasn't older than 27 and the girl over 25. With such a young couple, it was very incongruous to hear her side of the conversation peppered with మీరు and ఏమండీ - basically referring to her husband in the respectful plural form.
I figured that most marriages are love marriages these days and, even otherwise, that people held liberal views like the partners in a marriage are equal. So it was refreshing to see this rather old-fashioned couple and for that matter this shy Telugu girl who asked her husband to do everything for her, like grab her a snack. Their berths were both on the same side of the cabin, one upper and one lower, and they asked me to switch berths with them so they they could both sleep on the same level (and presumably talk). I refused since I liked my lower berth. The fourth guy in the cabin gladly agreed and the couple disappeared into the upper half of the cabin for the rest of the night.

No comments: