Friday, November 14, 2008

More roads and electricity

The road from my apt to work is improving at a phenomenal rate. When I moved in, about 30% of the way was unpaved road and pretty much after crossing a certain point, it was hell to drive back to my apt. Now the roads are being worked on so fast, I can barely remember what it looked like just a few days ago. Now I think about 95% of my route is paved, the only patches being the connection from my neighborhood to the highway and the path outside work. Even the tiny roads that lead to my apt that were peppered with potholes are miraculously flat now. My estimate for the time it'll take for a super clean road from my apt to work to be ready will be way off, in the good way.

Power cuts are back. They had reached a peak before Diwali, the explanation being that they need to do this in order to ensure the Diwali days were free of power cuts. And they kept their word. The two weeks of Diwali (!) were heaven - hot water to shower in the mornings, news on TV etc. Now the power cuts are back. My neighbourhood has it back, 6am to 9am in the mornings, which means it's back the IIT system where we used to skip showers in the mornings (because it was too cold and we didn't have time to heat the water) and have them in the evenings. However I'm still thankful for my current system of laptop and data card for internet. There's the occasional frustrating day where the network speed is just horrible, but by and large it's nice to be able to browse the internet even when no one around me has power. So I can still do my morning ritual of checking my email and the news in the morning before I go to work.

The power cuts apparently last from 6am to 9am and noon to 4pm. The latter cut doesn't affect me much since I'm at work, but today I had to come home at 3pm all the way from work and I seriously considered just staying home and watching the rest of the England-India cricket match but there was no power! I just took what I needed and hauled butt to work.

No comments: