Monday, November 10, 2008

Dad's magic

While in the hospital with dad, we were watching TV and the ad for Five Star Fruit and Nut comes on. I've always loved Five Star and I had been planning to try out this new avatar of the candy bar for a while. So when I saw this ad I announced, "That looks cool, I want to try this."
Dad responded in his usual style of showing off, "I can have this bar brought over to our place."
I said, "That's OK dad, I can just pick it up on our way back home."
"No", he insisted, "I won't call anyone, it'll just come to our house. Magic!"

Now I was really intrigued. Dad always used to do this when we were younger, where he'd promise the sky, and usually delivered. But what was always wonderful was when he did something magical. As an adult, I can reason out how he managed those, but the kid in me will always be tickled by these things.

Eventually he just gave in and said that he'd already purchased the bars knowing I might want to try them out when I visited. And after we went home, the first thing he did after we woke up the next day was go to the fridge and bring me the candy bar.

The bar itself wasn't great - Five Star is still a superb item and I love fruits and nuts, but the two just don't go together. But it was nice to see that dad still had his magical touch with him.

1 comment:

Kiran said...

This is a fabulous story. I will give him a 120 on 100 just for trying :)