Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A weird faux pas

While I was with my dad this past weekend, we were watching TV and they were doing a program on a particular holy man. I commented out loud that I didn't care very much for this particular person. For a while no one said anything and I didn't even realize something was wrong. A good five seconds later I hear my dad ask me, "Are you talking about _____?" And I said, "Yes.". He replied, "He is my guruji. Why don't you like him?"

I was totally shocked. This almost never happens in our home since we are all mostly aware of each others' sore spots, and even more so because have so few of them. Almost everyone is fair game to make fun of, including my dad's favorite actor, and all our relatives regardless of which side they come from. Apparently at some point my dad had decided to follow this particular holy man and even though it wasn't hardcore to the point where he got angry it made me suddenly uncomfortable. I managed to do an awkward change of topic. Of course now I can't stop laughing at myself when I think back to that evening.

No comments: