Monday, November 3, 2008

I don't know how to feel right now

Guys,
There's a Simpsons episode where Lisa (as Joan of Arc) joins the French army which had been using humans in their catapults on the English walls. She announces herself and tells them that she'll modernize the army with ideas like using bigger, stronger people in the catapults. Or stones. As everyone celebrates this idea, the guy who'd been flung at the English walls till then says to himself (in a gay French accent no less) "I don't know how to feel right now." Yep, that's me.

I wake up and see notes from everyone telling me about the Iverson trade to the Pistons, asking me how I feel. "It must have been terrible Jack, must have been terrible. Well it bloody is now!" This is horrible. What next, watching Manning play on the Patriots? Colt McCoy on the Sooners? M.S. Dhoni and Sehwag go to play for Team Australia? I'm glad I'm not near a TV where I will be forced to watch AI play in the hellhole they call a Palace, among hooligans they call fans, wearing those ugly White and Red rags they call a uniform. For what it's worth, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Pistons as a team and as individuals. But yeah, that is not enough to make watching those games any easier. And to think I was considering getting a basketball package over here!

Most of you might not know this but right before AI's MVP season, he almost got traded to the Pistons. The trade fell through at the last minute. That ended up firing up AI and he took his team to the Finals. All this was before I started following basketball. What I'm wondering is if that trade had happened, and AI had been playing for Detriot as I started watching the NBA, how different might everything have been. Most significantly, would AI have won a ring or two by now?

This has been a weird week of mornings so far. On Sunday morning (my time) the Longhorns lost in a heartbreaking fashion to a gimmicky coach. On Monday morning the Colts won over the Patriots, always sweet. On Tuesday morning my favorite basketball player of all time gets traded to the team I've hated with a passion more than any other team. Wednesday morning I'll be watching the election coverage, I wonder what that means.

Kalyan

No comments: