Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The mystery of the missing guest

We were expecting a very important guest from the US at work today.
There had been plans in place for ages now, presentations were
readied, labs were shined up. And out of the blue, about 30 mins
before we were to meet him, we get an email informing us that the
entire program has been scrapped. This was a big blow since apart from
impressing him, we actually needed to impress on him some of the needs
of our team here.

Soon I heard from someone in the office what had happened. The guy
arrived at the Mumbai airport and waited for two hours. No one was
there to receive him and he got pissed off and went back to NJ. I was
shocked that someone would behave in such an immature fashion. But
soon after that we heard the real reason. Apparently there was some
problem with his visa and he couldn't be let into India. He'll be
returning next week with all the proper documents.

The thing with the first story I heard made me wonder how these rumors
get started. I know the person in the story chain about two steps
above me and for that person to have either made up the story or
passed on an unsubstantiated rumor is just stupid. But I guess it
takes all types.

On the other hand, I felt good on hearing that someone got sent back
from India for improper documentation. I've heard plenty of stories
like this about people going to the US and being stranded for lack of
documentation and now we get to impose our will on other nationals.
Very cool.

No comments: