Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The lifestyle catches up, I think

I knew there would be a breaking point when all the junk eating would hit me. And I think that's what happened today. Yesterday during the evening I ate some spicy roasted and seasoned peanuts from a roadside vendor. Didn't seem too bad while I was eating them. Dinner was preceded by some roadside lemon juice and I went to bed feeling fine. Got particularly hungry in the morning and since I didn't have any bananas in the apt (my usual breakfast) I decided to stop by a small restaurant and get a masala dosa.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep because I was too excited about the election. Maybe it was the dosa or the peanuts. Right around 10am I started feeling sick. Stomach ache, aching of the joints and an overwhelming need to just lie down for about 10 hours! I had to skip lunch and find a low traffic corner of the office to sleep. I seriously considered going into an unoccupied office and just sleeping under the table, a la George Costanza. But in the end I just pretended to be reading a journal and nodding off, which seems to be an acceptable offense at work. After a couple of hours of this "accidentally falling asleep" I recovered enough to walk around the office.

I did feel bad but honestly, I would have just loved to have gone home after taking a half day off but I can't do that because of some crap at work. And also, I am travelling to Hyd tonight and don't want to be sick during the journey.

Lesson learned, I suppose. Cut down on the junk food. On the bright side I found out where I can get protein powder here and will be getting on that soon.