Sunday, November 2, 2008

Things that ticked me off all Sunday long

It started with the UT football game. UT was down in the fourth quarter but after a terrific drive, took the lead. Tech started driving and I knew they needed just a field goal to take the lead. I remembered that their kicker was basically a walk-on. I was praying for the sweet story of the pressure finally getting to him and UT winning. But they threw for the TD and boom went the dynamite. That set the tone.

India was playing for the draw in the cricket match. It was kinda sad to see the team that accused Australia of playing defensively, go into a shell. And then ramp up the tension by losing a few wickets. Eventually they managed the draw but it wasn't a good ending. Kumble retired and count me among those that aren't that sad about it. Perhaps the way he went out is sad - the injury making the choice for him, in a series where he was highly ineffective for a long time. Another bummer.

And then I got into a flame war with this guy on Wikipedia. He insisted on removing an addition that I made which pointed out that Biwi No. 1 is a remake of Sati Leelavathi. Got me all riled up about idiots with blinders, perhaps based on regional pride. (Look idiot, your whole industry sucks and can't even remake a good comedy, so deal with it!) Got me so pissed off that when later that evening I was watching 7/G Brindavan Colony on TV, a movie in which I've always hated the lead character, now I was rooting for him against the North Indian boyfriend of the heroine. Urgh!

I turned on my computer to watch some movies or play some games and it hung. That scared me more than pissed me off. (Today morning it was working fine.)

When my mom called me during the night she commented on how I used to be much funnier when I was in the US but now I'm very sober. I felt bad and I told her all my problems from the day and about how even though they are trivial, they got me in a bad mood. She laughed at the silliness and I got back some of my funny cred along with some respite from the annoyances.

No comments: