Saturday, November 29, 2008

I'm pretty sure I entered a red light district

(These are the first non-violent thoughts I've had since the attacks
in Mumbai. I don't think I want to share the violent thoughts yet.)

Friday evening I decided to go shopping at the Lakshmi road area but
that plan quickly disappeared due to too many choices. So I decided to
make the most of it and picked up about Rs. 10 worth of boiled and
salted peanuts and just walk around in the neighborhood. The area is a
lot of fun with plenty of random stores specializing things you
wouldn't think they'd have stores for. Like wooden horses, I saw about
three different stores selling those.

I parked my scooter at a big intersection and explored all the four
quadrants around that. I didn't even realize I was (probably) in a red
light area for a while. It wasn't the whole neighborhood but in one
area I saw a big group of women just standing around, standing very
close to each other. I assumed they were waiting for a bus but it
didn't seem like a bus stop, and the street was too narrow to actually
allow a bus in. Then I thought they were waiting for milk or some
other groceries. Again, they were a little too dressed up for that.
Then I noticed there were no men near them. Considering atleast of
them were dressed up like housewives, I thought they'd be accompanied
by their husbands. But then I kept walking and saw another group of
women standing around. And then another.

When it hit me I tensed up so bad my neck started hurting. I avoided
making eye contact with anyone and just walked out of there as fast as
I could. You always think you'll act cool when put in awkward
positions, but I did not want anyone to walk up to me and ask me if I
wanted a good time. I think I'd have a heart attack!

The only reason I am not sure I saw what I think I saw is that I
didn't see any negotiation take place. There were a few guys walking
on the street, and a few sitting in restaurants etc in that area. But
not a single one of them was talking to any of the women. Also, from
movies etc, I expected atleast a few women to be brazen and solicit
customers. These women just stood there. Maybe it was because they
didn't want any complaints about them harassing people. Or maybe they
were just really waiting for milk.

Somehow I doubt it.

No comments: